I have been a realtor for almost 20 years. After transferring many times with my own family, I am personally familiar with the moving process. I have been involved with remodeling, building, and staging homes. The best part about my job is that I love that I get the opportunity to find the perfect home that excites my clients!

Monday, June 25, 2012

7 Mistakes a SELLER can make!


I read a great article on realtor.com on 7 costly mistakes sellers can make when listing their home.  You can check out the article if you want, but I'll summarize my favorite points here:

Mistake 1:  Putting your home on the market before it's ready.  Presentation is everything so get everything done before it's listed.  Don't let potential buyers see dirty carpets, or half painted walls!  Get it done so all buyers see the "finished" product!

Mistake 2:  Pricing your home based on what the seller wants to net.  Sellers don't decide the asking price, the market does.  Most, if not all, buyers will not pay over market value!

Mistake 3:  Hiring an agent based on non-business decisions.  Hire someone with a proven track record.  If you have a friend who just got their license, at least make sure they have a mentor!!!

Mistake 4:  Over-improving your house compared to other homes in your neighborhood.  

Mistake 5:  Getting emotionally involved with the sale of your home.

Mistake 6:  Trying to cover up problems and not disclosing them.  Be honest!  The last thing you want to happen is for you to get sued when the buyers discover a problem that you did not disclose!!!

Mistake 7:  Not getting your ducks lined up before selling.  Read the fine print in your mortgage to avoid pre-payment penalties.  If the market is showing lower home prices, lower your price sooner than later.  If you need to sell your home first before buying a new one, do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment