I have been a realtor for almost 20 years. After transferring many times with my own family, I am personally familiar with the moving process. I have been involved with remodeling, building, and staging homes. The best part about my job is that I love that I get the opportunity to find the perfect home that excites my clients!

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Low Cost Gardening


Gardening can be pretty expensive, especially if you are starting your landscape from scratch.  I did a little research and got some good ideas.  My  favorite ideas are:

1.  Who needs to hire a landscaper? Look around your neighborhood, if you see a landscape you like, don't be afraid to knock on their door and ask them for some advice.  I'm sure they'll be flattered and you'll get some valuable advice!

2.  Divide up your plants and prune them.  Some plants grow so big that you have to divide them up after a few years so that they don't take over the whole garden and make it look overcrowded. This happens with my Variegated Iris and Caladiums, but I know it happens with a lot of plants.  Divide them up and then you can put the extras in a bare spot, extend your garden or move it to your back yard landscaping (or vice versa).   I've even given some of the plants I've divided to friends for their landscaping!

3.  Use Mulch.  It helps the soil hold moisture and then you have to water less.   Mulch also helps cut down weeds, so you don't have to spend too much money on weed killer!

4.  Recycle your newspaper.  Instead of buying landscaping fabric, lay down newspaper, wet it, and cover it with a layer of soil or mulch to anchor it!  I've never tried this one, but I might!  Sounds genius!

5.  Make sure you know the difference between a weed growing in or an old plant.  I plant Vinca in the summer and then pull it for the winter.  However, the seeds spread because every year, I get Vinca that grow back on their own without replanting.  I always have to be careful not to pull a weed that is actually a flower coming back!

No comments:

Post a Comment